Son of Yhency

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Life after Kiedis

When I found out that Flea, of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nazi nihilist fame, was a rabid Lakers fan, I wasn't surprised. Along with the rest of the band, he grew up in Los Angeles, went to Fairfax High School and performs the L.A. opus, "Under the Bridge", with his band. What did surprise me, however, is that he has a blog on NBA.com about the Lakers. And it's hilarious, in the Unintentional Comedy Scale sense. I implore you to check it out. It's not updated often, but what he writes, in some sort of a strange, poetic prose, is genius. For example, here's what he has to say (entirely unedited, with original line breaks) about the Lakers' first round pick, Andrew Bynum:

andrew bynum seems great
i know he is doing very little
but i'm telling you he has the magic that the lakers need
it is an intangible presence on the court
it is an attitude, an earnestness. a humility
that creates good basketball
drafting him was smart
he will pay off big time
i wish he would play much more but i have faith in phil
when bynum steps on the court
my heart leaps with joy
he is my favorite laker

His heart leaps with joy??? What the heck? As much as I try to imagine it, I just can't see bad ass Flea sitting at home and jumping up and down saying "YAAAAYYY!" when Bynum comes into the game. Although I would definitely pay to see it.