Son of Yhency

Monday, April 10, 2006

This is how it’s supposed to be done

Major League players and teams alike, take note. For the second time in three years, the Red Sox and David Ortiz have come to terms on a contract extension in midseason, this one being absolutely massive -- $50 million over four years.

To all the players out there who say the "right" things in a contract year -- "I couldn't imagine myself with any other team," "I love the fans here," etc -- only to stall on negotiations until after their contract has expired, take note.

And to all the teams who, again, say all the "right" things in a player's contract year -- "We're going to do everything in our power to bring him back," "He's the key to our future," etc -- but suspiciously allow negotiations to slide until after the contract expires, you too, take note.

Enough with the posturing. State your intentions and act upon them. Even if that pisses people off, lying will piss them off tenfold. Because the truth will come out. I'll take the slightly crazy Latrell Sprewell "I'm playing the market -- I got kids to feed" truth over the Johnny Damon/Roger Clemens "I will never wear pinstripes" lie any day of the week.