Son of Yhency

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Fruit-Rod becomes Flip-Flop-Rod

New news in this ridiculous Fruit-Rod/World Baseball Classic insanity. I was about to write a long tirade on why this man infuriates me so, but this timeline on the man's involvement with the Classic speaks volumes on its own:

July 14 - To play for Dominican Republic. "I want to say it out loud. I am Dominican." (That comment led to this brilliant column. I call him Fruit-Rod, this guy named Ahchie calls him The Cooler.)

December 13 - Leaning towards Dominican. "That seems to be pretty much where I'm leaning."

December 15 - Will sit out Classic. "When faced with the decision to choose between my country, the United States of America, and my Dominican heritage, I decided I will not dishonor either."

January 4 - Will play for U.S.

January 17 - On Dominican roster.

January 18 - Will play for U.S. "In recent weeks... I reached the conclusion that if I played in the Classic, I would play for the United States and honor my American citizenship."

Congratulations, Fruit-Rod. You have no marbles.