Son of Yhency

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Two down, one to go

The baseball gods have had enough. No more Bambino, no more Black Sox and no more goat. Or so one would think.

The White Sox won the World Series last night, and a hearty congratulations to them. They clearly deserved and earned it. 11-1 in the postseason is somewhat ridiculous. I don't think we've seen such a dominant playoff run since the 2001 Lakers.

Of course that won't stop me from despising many of those guys. A.J. Pierzynski, please stop pumping your fist like an idiot after every strikeout. Aaron Rowand and Dustin Hermanson, grow real friggin' goatees. The rest of you -- ummmm, just stop being so annoyingly good.

But since this is a blog and I don't feel it would be truly legitimate until I start coming up with outrageous conspiracy theories, there was a piece of me that kept on thinking that those umpires were being paid off. The check swing strike call on Damon in Game 3 of the ALDS, the Pierzynski/Josh Paul thing in Game 2 of the ALCS, the Dye "hit by pitch" in Game 2 of the World Series and a few others that just didn't sit right with me. It was all going the Sox' way a little too much. Then again, the Astros couldn't hit worth shit and regardless of the calls, the Sox kept on capitalizing in big moments. So they earned it. But there was some sketchiness.

And for those of you who stuck around after the game to watch Steve Lyons' appearance at that White Sox bar in Chicago, congratulations. One of the funniest TV moments I think I've ever witnessed.

But back to my main point here. The Red Sox win their first World Series last year after an 86-year hiatus. The White Sox win this year after an 88-year nap. Which leaves us with... the Cubs? It has to be, right? If the baseball gods are going to go this far, why not let the Bruins quench their own little 95-year drought next year? I'm pulling for it, and I hope everyone else is too.